Dermot Ryan: “I support Corbyn because his policies are characterised by generosity of spirit”

Extracted from the Independent

 99%-3

 

The West robs South America, Africa and the Middle East continually and relentlessly. And in another two years, the top 1% of British society will have more money than the other 99% combined. Like Corbyn, I want to see a necessary and appropriate redistribution of wealth, and I want to see refugees treated like human beings.

The media are the same, controlled by a handful of powerful men. Corbyn has them panicked, and telling lies is their weapon of choice. You can see that in the pernicious response to Corbyn in the supposedly liberal media. He is yet to be given a fair chance.

And I can’t accept criticisms of Corbyn’s age, either. When he was 88 years old, King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia was named by Forbes as the most powerful man in the Middle East. Manmohan Singh was Prime Minister of India until the age of 82.

I served in the Air Raid Precautions Service, and I don’t doubt Corbyn’s patriotism, despite what the papers said after the Remembrance service. Considering Corbyn’s 30 years of intensely democratic disagreement with the Conservatives as a socialist, the unworthy and scurrilous bleat that he is a danger to Britain is risible. He can make Britain great again by aiding the stricken.

Personally, I think Corbyn will survive attacks by the media and from within his party, but I don’t know whether he can win a national vote outright. And so, instead, we’ve got to do things how they do in Ireland. The leftist Irish party Fianna Fáil held power for many years, and then many different parties all joined together and got government in a coalition.

If Corbyn can form a coalition with the smaller left-wing parties, then I think he stands a chance of being elected. But it all depends on the support of people like me and you.

Corbyn has been called a throwback to last century. But think about all that was done back then: the National Health Service, the welfare state.

I wouldn’t call the Corbyn surge a throwback. I’d call it a resurrection of ideals.

Advertisements

Posted on December 2, 2015, in Defence, Democracy, Inequality, Jeremy Corbyn, Politics, Security, Watershed and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: