Posted by admin
The Tories talk about economic and family security being at risk from us the Labour party, or perhaps even more particularly, from me.
I’ve been told never to repeat your opponents’ lines in a political debate. But I want to tackle one thing head on.
I say this to them. How dare these people talk about security for families and people in Britain?
- Where’s the security for families shuttled around the private rented sector on six month tenancies – with children endlessly having to change schools?
- Where’s the security for those tenants afraid to ask a landlord to fix a dangerous structure in their own homes because they might be evicted because they’ve gone to the local authority to seek the justice they’re entitled to? (Shades of Grenfell Tower)
- Where’s the security for the carers struggling to support family members as Tory local government cuts destroy social care and take away the help they need? (See recent UN report on the UK’s disability cuts)
- Where’s the security for young people starting out on careers knowing they are locked out of any prospect of ever buying their own home by soaring house prices?
- Where’s the security for families driven away from their children’s schools, their community and family ties by these welfare cuts?
- Where’s the security for the hundreds of thousands taking on self-employment with uncertain income, no sick pay, no maternity pay, no paid leave, no pension now facing the loss of the tax credits that keep them and their families afloat?
- And where the security for the 2.8 million households in Britain forced into debt by stagnating wages and the longest fall in living standards since records began?
And that’s the nub of it.
Tory economic failure.
Manufacturing still in decline.
An economy that works for the few, not for the many.–